I am Wouter Bulten. Currently, I am the Chief Innovation Officer of Aiosyn, an AI startup focused on computational pathology. At Aiosyn, my goal is to bring innovation and AI research to clinical practice.
I hold a PhD on computational pathology with a focus on using artificial intelligence for clinical diagnostics. I performed my PhD research at the Computational pathology group of the Department of Pathology and the Diagnostic Image Analysis Group of the Radboud University Medical Center. As part of my PhD, I organized the international PANDA Challenge, in collaboration with Google Health and the Karolinska Institute.
Summer 2015, I graduated Cum laude in Artificial Intelligence at the Radboud University and received my Master of Science (MSc.) degree. Between 2011 and 2017 I worked as a Software Developer and Data Scientist at 123test. Next to this, I have been working as a freelance software developer for small to large sized companies since 2009.
This website is a portfolio of things I work on, both professionally and as a hobby (e.g., home automation). Not all content is 100% tech-focussed; I like to cook a wide range of dishes, some of which you can read more about on my food blog.
- Aug 2021 - present
- Chief Innovation Officer, Aiosyn
- Mar 2017 - Jan 2022
- PhD on deep learning for improved prognostics in prostate cancer, Radboud University Medical Center
- Sept 2009 - Aug 2021
- Freelance web & software developer, OuterHills
- Apr 2016 - Mar 2017
- Data Scientist, 123test (.com /.nl) & TestingTalents
- Feb 2011 - Mar 2016
- Software Developer, 123test (.com /.nl) & TestingTalents
- Oct 2014 - Aug 2015
- Research intern, DoBots & Almende, on indoor localisation and the autonomous localisation of wireless sensor networks for the ‘Internet of Things’.
- Bulten, W., Kartasalo, K., Chen, PH.C. et al. “Artificial intelligence for diagnosis and Gleason grading of prostate cancer: the PANDA challenge.", in: Nature Medicine, 2022, Read online
- W. Bulten, et al. “Artificial intelligence assistance significantly improves Gleason grading of prostate biopsies by pathologists”, in: Modern Pathology, 2021, Read online
- W. Bulten, et al. “Automated deep-learning system for Gleason grading of prostate cancer using biopsies: a diagnostic study”, in: The Lancet Oncology, 2020, Read online
- W. Bulten and G. Litjens. “Unsupervised Prostate Cancer Detection on H&E using Convolutional Adversarial Autoencoders”, in: Medical Imaging with Deep Learning, 2018, Read online
- W. Bulten, et al. “Epithelium segmentation using deep learning in H&E-stained prostate specimens with immunohistochemistry as reference standard." in: Scientific reports 9.1 (2019): 864. Read online
- W. Bulten, G. J. S. Litjens, C. A. Hulsbergen-van de Kaa, and J. van der Laak, “Automated segmentation of epithelial tissue in prostatectomy slides using deep learning,” in Medical Imaging 2018: Digital Pathology, vol. 10581, 2018. Read online
- W. Bulten, A. van Rossum, and W. Haselager, “Human SLAM, Indoor Localisation of Devices and Users”, in The 1st IEEE International Conference on Internet-of-Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI 2016), Berlin, Germany, 2016. Read online. View slides online
- W. Bulten, W. Haselager, and I. Sprinkhuizen-Kuyper “Sharing Blood: A Decentralised Trust and Sharing Ecosystem based on the Vampire Bat,” in The 24th Benelux Conference on Artificial Intelligence (BNAIC) 2012, Proceedings of the 24th Benelux Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Maastricht, The Netherlands, ISSN 1568-7805, pp. 35–42. Online proceedings
Overview of various news item related to my (PhD) research; only English and Dutch items shown.
- Radboudumc scoort met ai-analyse prostaatweefsel
Computable, June 29, 2022
- Kunstmatige intelligentie als digitale collega voor de patholoog
Medische Oncologie, March 25, 2022
- An International Scientific Challenge for the Diagnosis and Gleason Grading of Prostate Cancer
Google research blog, February 11, 2022
- Artificial intelligence kan onze zorg redden
RTL Nieuws opinie, January 21, 2022
- Combinatie AI en patholoog kan diagnostiek sterk verbeteren
ICT&Health, January 17, 2022
- Uit onderzoek blijkt dat kunstmatige intelligentie kan helpen bij kankerdiagnose
NOS, January 13, 2022
- Digitale Dokters - Wat AI voor de medische wereld kan betekenen
KIJK, May 1st, 2020
- Beste oordeel komt van mens en machine samen
Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde (NTvG), October 7, 2010
- De software die slimmer is dan de dokter
NRC, January 31, 2020
- Prostate diagnosis may benefit from some deep learning
Cosmos Magazine, January 13, 2020
- De computer is slimmer dan de patholoog
BNR Wetenshchap Vandaag (Radio interview), January 9, 2020
- Nederlandse onderzoekers gebruiken AI om agressiviteit tumor te bepalen
NU.nl (Dutch news website), January 9, 2020